- Post-Bac Option
MFA Application Information
*Application information for the next application cycle (2018-19 Academic Year) will be updated soon.
January 10, 2018 (domestic)
December 1, 2017 (international)
Applications received after this deadline and incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Notifications regarding admission decisions will be sent to students via email by April 15.
International Applicants, please visit the International Graduate Admissions webpage before you apply.
Graduate School Admission Application
Please review the application requirements, and prepare your supporting documents before beginning your application. You will need to upload and submit all of the documents at the same time. The Department of Art & Art History Application requires the following supporting documents:
- Personal Statement – This is where you describe the goals and objectives you would like to reach while in our graduate program.
- Artist Statement – This is where you describe yourself as an artist.
- 3 Letters of recommendation – collected through the Graduate School Application process. You will be asked to provide a valid email address, as well as other information for three recommenders. Refer to the Graduate School Frequently Asked Questions page for more information about the process.
- Transcripts- For review and decision purposes you are required to upload an unofficial copy of your transcript(s) in the online application. We require one copy of the scanned transcript from each undergraduate and graduate institution that you attended. This includes community colleges, summer sessions, and extension programs. While credits from one institution may appear on the transcript of a second institution, unofficial transcripts must be submitted from each institution, regardless of the length of attendance, and whether or not courses were completed. Failure to list and submit transcripts from all institutions previously attended is considered to be a violation of academic ethics and may result in the cancellation of your admission or dismissal from the university. ONLY after you are recommended for admission will you need to provide official transcripts.
- Application Fee – A $60.00 non-refundable application fee ($70 for international applicants) must accompany each application for CU-Boulder graduate degree programs. The fee must be paid online with a credit card, in order to complete the application.
*all supporting documents must be .pdf or .doc files
MFA Areas (sub-plans)
In your application, please specify the area of your primary interest (sub-plan). Within the Department of Art & Art History are the following areas of concentration:
- Painting & Drawing
- IMAP-Integrated Arts
- Sculpture & Post-Studio Practice
- Film Track
Graduate School Application Resources:
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page at http://www.colorado.edu/admissions/graduate/apply/faq.
- To check on the status of your submitted application, please visit the MyCUBoulder portal at https://mycuboulder.colorado.edu/.
- If you have a recommender that cannot find the link to submit their letter, you can have them email the letter directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can send transcripts or other outstanding documents directly to email@example.com as well.
- If you are an international student, you can send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The link to the application itself is https://soa.prod.cu.edu/degreeprog/applyDEGREEPROG_CUBLD/login.action.
If you want your application to be reviewed in more than one area, you will still have to check one sub-plan on your online application form but you may submit an additional portfolio through SlideRoom (for an additional $10 fee) and explain in your statement of goals and objectives the reason for that additional portfolio submission.
Portfolios, each consisting of 20 media items (images, video, sound files, etc. as is appropriate to represent your artistic practice) must be submitted online through SlideRoom. For technical assistance, please contact email@example.com. There is a $10 fee that must be paid to SlideRoom in order to complete each portfolio submission.
Uploading Video & Audio Files
Files smaller than 250MB can be directly uploaded into slideRoom. Public video and audio files can be linked into SlideRoom from Vimeo, Youtube, or SoundCloud. See SlideRoom’s support page for more information. If your video is password protected you will need to include a preview file (video still or segment) and add the Vimeo link and password to the complete work in the comments section below.
Film Track Portfolio Requirements:
Please submit up to 20 works in any media. You must also upload a table of contents page for your portfolio items. The table of contents page can be a word document or PDF.
IMAP Portfolio Requirements:
For moving image work please submit a 3 minute clip or preview of the work in addition to including the link to the completed work in the comments section.
Fellowships, teaching assistantships (MA, Art History); and fellowships, GPTI/GA (MFA, Art Practices). There is no separate application for financial support but the applicant’s interest in a part-time teaching (TA, GPTI) or non-teaching (GA) position may be expressed in their statement of goals and objectives. Non-departmental financial aid at CU-Boulder is handled through the Office of Financial Aid. 303-492-5091.
We accept up to 18 applicable graduate-level credit hours from other universities and colleges, if such credits have not been used for any other degrees. If you have such unused, applicable graduate-level credits, you will be able, usually in the second semester of your studies, to submit a transfer of credit form, attaching official transcripts from other institutions. The form and transcripts will then be reviewed by your academic advisor, departmental Curriculum Committee and the Graduate School.
If you have any questions about the application process or portfolio requirements, please contact:
Graduate Program Coordinator
Department of Art and Art History
University of Colorado, 318 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309-0318
Graduate Admissions: http://www.colorado.edu/admissions/graduate/
Application Process FAQ: http://www.colorado.edu/admissions/graduate/apply/FAQ
Art & Art History Programs Overview: http://www.colorado.edu/admissions/graduate/programs/art
International Applicants: http://www.colorado.edu/admissions/graduate/international
International Student and Scholar Services: http://www.colorado.edu/oie/isss
Grad Awards & Grants: http://www.colorado.edu/graduateschool/funding/graduate-student-awards-and-grants
National Fellowships: http://www.colorado.edu/graduateschool/funding/national-fellowship-opportunities
Work Study: http://www.colorado.edu/studentemployment/work-study/awards-eligibility