- Post-Bac Option
The Department of Art and Art History offers majors and minors which allow students to explore their interests and refine their skills in Art History, Ceramics, Sculpture and Post-Studio Practice, Printmaking, IMAP (photography, digital media, video, integrated arts) and Painting/Drawing.
Undergraduates may pursue the following degrees: BA in Art History – BA/MA in Art History – BA in Art Practices or BFA in Art Practices – BA/MA in Film Studies. (For more information on minor requirements, see below.) Students may declare a BA major in either art history or art practices without a separate application or portfolio review. Students interested in the BFA in Art Practices or BA/MA in Art History must apply to those programs with separate application materials and/or a portfolio review. All undergraduate art and art history majors must complete both sections of World Art (ARTH 1300 and ARTH 1400) and Introduction to Studio Art (ARTS 1010 and ARTS 1020) before enrolling in upper-level courses.
Minor in Art History
The minor in art history is subject to the requirements listed in the university catalogue, which include:
– A minimum of 18 credit hours in Art History coursework
– All course work applied to the minor must be completed with a grade of C- or better (no pass/fail work may be applied). The grade point average for all minor degree course work must be equal to 2.000 (C) or higher.
– Students are allowed to apply no more than 9 credit hours, including 6 upper-division credit hours, to transfer work toward a minor.
The specific requirements for the minor in Art History are:
ARTH 1300 World Art Studies I and ARTH 1400 World Art Studies II and
12 credit hours of ARTH courses at the 3000- or 4000-level, with at least two courses at the 4000-level.
Distribution requirement: Complete at least one upper division course in each of the following 3 areas: 1) Ancient, Asian, Pre-Columbian, or Native American; 2) Medieval, Early Modern (Renaissance/Baroque), or Colonial Latin American; 3) Modern, Contemporary, or Theory.
Minor in Art Practices
The minor in Art Practices is subject to the requirements listed in the university catalogue which include:
- A minimum of 21 credit hours in Art Practices coursework
- All course work applied to the minor must be completed with a grade of C- or better (no pass/fail work may be applied). The grade point average for all minor degree course work must be equal to 2.000 (C) or higher.
- Students are allowed to apply no more than 9 credit hours, including 6 upper-division credit hours, of transfer work toward a minor.
The specific requirements for the minor in Art Practices are:
- ARTS 1010 Foundations I
- ARTS 1020 Foundations II
- At least 9 credit hours of ARTS courses at the 3000- or 4000-level.
Art History majors may apply ARTS 1010 and ARTS 1020 (both major requirements) toward the completion of an Art Practices minor, but may not apply major electives toward completion of the minor.
For incoming freshman and transfer students interested in Art History and Art Practices please refer to the University of Colorado Admissions.